Thursday 10 May 2012

Under way...

72 miles from London and all seems to be bearing up as I get into routine and back into the swing of things. It's very like being on operations again and I suppose I shouldnt really be too surprised. Remarkably, even the map reading isnt too problematical - so far. Oddly, the bad weather hasnt been as bad as people might expect; I think from a car it seems worse on the outside than it actually is. Juggernauts make for an exhilerating time however. Have put in a lot of mileage over the last few days, 21, 24 and 27 respectively - as Alice Warrender forecast, the first blister appeared at the end of Day 3 but given the mileage, I am not too concerned. Tomorrow I enter Canterbury, I will stay as a guest of the Dean and visit the shrine of St Thomas a Beckett. Canterbury is technically the start of the Via Francigena; I would like to point out that it was here that Chaucer, quite sensibly, turned round and headed back to London...

No comments:

Post a Comment